Thursday, November 16, 2017

Genetic Failure





I tried.

I really did.

But I failed. Miserably.

Not that it was any big deal.

But I learned a valuable lesson: I can't multi-task. Not insofar as having the television on in the background while attempting a physical task.

Still, now that I really think about it, that's not completely true. I can have a baseball game on while doing something, listen and comprehend what's going on without any problem at all. Is it because I've been attuned to such a big part of my life, because I've grown up with it? Since I was a kid I've had Dodger games blaring on the radio while I was outside doing chores or putting a model together or what have you. No problem. Multi-tasking in that particular manner wasn't an issue in the least.

But this morning? A complete and total failure.

I had pulled out several boxed Christmas trees, time for them to make their annual appearance. (Hey! Don't judge! There are as many trees as rooms in this household and every one of them gets one. With that many you have to start somewhere and if that means assembling them before Thanksgiving has arrived? So be it.) I was in the middle of the living room and a little background noise seemed appropriate. I flicked on the television. Already on some random movie channel, Scent Of A Woman was playing ... good enough. I've seen it a few times so good distraction fodder.

Little did I know.

I kept finding myself gravitating from fluffing tree branches to watching the television screen and back again. Over and over and over. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't do both simultaneously. I tried willing myself to do so with superhuman concentration. Nope. Unable.

So ... how do women do so well at multi-tasking? Understand, I'm not trying to pigeonhole the fairer sex with the ability. It's just a well known fact they're more proficient than men at it. And I'm not pulling this stuff out my ass; there are plenty of sources out there. (Here. Are. Three.)

Look: I can walk and chew gum at the same time. But when it comes to television (ballgames excepted) and doing something else? I can't. Much as I'd like to. 

And I don't see that as a failure per se. I see it as devotion to a singular task at hand without compromising or negating the importance of one or the other.

Yeah ... that's the answer I'm going with. 


.......... Ruprecht ( I STOPped trying to multi-task almost the moment I started ... )




Hey ... why is this sideways ... !???

No comments:

Post a Comment