Tuesday, September 10, 2013

When I Was In School ...


"So how was school?"

"Okay."

"Do you have a lot of homework today?"

"Yeah ..."


"Tough stuff? Or is it pretty easy?"

"It's not that big of a deal. But ... I need some colored markers to do one project. I have to color in some things for a history assignment."

"We have crayons at home ..."

"No. I need markers. Colored ones."

"Oh. Well ... there are colored pens you can use. I saw them in a drawer just the other day."

"I can't use those. I need markers. The big ones. And they need to be colored."


"Why do they need to be colored?"

"For my project."


"Did your teacher tell you this project needed to be colored?"

"No ... that's just the way I want to do it."

"Do you have money to purchase markers?"

"No. It's your responsibility as the adult to buy markers."

"No, it isn't! My parents never bought me markers! I never needed to 'color' anything for a project. Matter'n fact, we didn't have markers with colors back when I was in school. We only had crayons if we wanted to color anything. And they were pretty expensive at the time. A lot of us couldn't afford them. And those that couldn't afford them ... like me? They managed by creating our own primary colors."

"How did you do that?"

"Well ... we picked our nose and used the boogers for the color green. We poked our fingers with stick pins 'til they bled for the color red. And we peed to get the color yellow. Green, red and yellow ... primary as primary colors get ..."

"Dad ... !!!"

"Wow ... that trumps the walking two miles uphill to and from school story ..."


"Yeah ... I'm rather impressed with myself ..."

.......... Ruprecht ( STOP )


No comments:

Post a Comment