Thursday, February 26, 2009

Disability


I heard this in church a few months ago .....


Kevin was born with a disability that robbed him of oxygen to his brain.

Nevertheless, he had a pretty good life, a pretty normal life.

When grown, he towered at 6'2". But, at 35 years of age, he still had the mental capacity of a 5 year old. Kevin loved life, however.

He loved getting up in the morning. He did a fantastic job everyday at his work which he loved dearly and he never finished work until he was complete with a project. Kevin met each opportunity with the exuberance of a child. Not surprisingly because he was a child mentally.

Kevin loved macaroni and cheese - his favorite meal - which he ate every single evening.

Kevin prayed every night before he went to bed. He prayed with every fiber of his being.

And he also believed that God lived under his bed.

So ... what if God did live under his bed? Kevin was too much of a child to understand this really couldn't be the case.

But it was the fervor, the "gung-ho" attitude Kevin exhibited in his prayer to God that made me wonder.

You see: I worry about the state of affairs in our country. I worry about what I'm going to say during my meeting tomorrow. I worry about what's for dinner tonight. I worry about how I'm ever going to get through the week with so many things filling up my calendar. So many, many trivial things that just don't make a difference. I worry about future events when I don't have any real control over what the future holds.

So ... I wonder: Who really has the disability?

Is it Kevin?

Or is it me?


...................... Ruprecht ( STOP )



10 comments:

  1. Interesting perspective, certainly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. There's some perspective for you. That is a piece I will carry with me in my thoughts for a long time to come. Thank you for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Rupe and very well said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic Rupe... certainly an "ah ha" moment. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no additional words to offer.
    I may very whine a little less, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic post Rupe. It sure does give some perspective to my way of thinking! XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good rhetorical questions at the end...

    Thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are all blessed to have you, my friend.
    Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete